December 17, 2011

I am in here

I was asked to review this book, and at once was intrigued by the story of a young girl made silent by Autism, a girl who longs to speak with such passion that she refers to it as 'agony'. My heart and soul have been touched by this young woman who is so full of love and courage when most would crumple under the weight of 'hopelessness'. More, I was touched by the mother, I was encouraged to keep fighting, keep praying, keep hoping, keep believing and never stop searching for answers.

Before she had even seen her second birthday Elizabeth was forced in a world of silence, a strange and mysterious world called Autism. A place that has so many unknowns for both the parents and the doctors but also the person who is afflicted with this disease. 'I am in here' takes you into the world of a family living with Autism, in a both clinical, easy to read but also hopeful and emotional way, Elizabeth's Mom describes the ups and downs, the hopes and the fears and the successes and failures of this disease. She also looks at the way that her faith has strengthened her, stretched her and allowed her to keep fighting on behalf of her daughter.

As a Mother I was moved, not only because of our struggles with our son's health problems, but also because I was reminded that I am not alone. There are so many families suffering, so many children who are suffering, and not one of us is alone. To hear Virginia talk about things that so closely echo my own feelings offers me comfort, hope, peace and ultimately a feeling of being understood.

'I have been praying for the children for so long and it seems like nothing happens'  Virginia Breen

No, we are not alone. This book is one that you should read, if not for you or a family member or friend who faces struggles, then at the very least to understand Elizabeth, and ultimately others who are trapped in the world of Autism. To see that they are in fact 'In there' and that they want only to be heard, understood and loved just as we all do.

"Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, don't be shy! Follow me!