September 2, 2011

The Paradox

We have all heard the saying that when it rains it pours, and for a while now it's been raining. For the last two weeks every single member of our family has had a hospital visit, though our kids are certainly the ones to take the brunt of the suffering. The storm picked up speed on Wednesday when Kaleb was rushed to the ER limp and struggling with his breathing. He was vomiting and listless and thankfully I had a friend there with me to watch Josh while they worked to get Kaleb breathing well again. We were admitted to hospital and spent the night trying to find the right balance of Ventolin and Oxygen, thankfully his vomiting stopped once we got his breathing under control and he began to take more fluids and was able to keep them down. We were released on Thursday with puffers and instructions for follow up and what to do 'next time'.

Today, with Josh away and Kaleb not feeling great we decided to take it easy. We had to do some grocery shopping but other than that we were enjoying a quiet day with our youngest. Then I got a phone call from the secretary of the Head of Cardiovascular surgery at Sick Kids. They want him to come on Tuesday for pre-op and Thursday for the surgery, in fact they wanted him to come on Wednesday but Kaleb has a follow up on Wednesday that is really important so I had to change it.

The blessing in this is that there will be no terrible waiting, no wondering when, but as I said to Tim... It's so fast. My heart needs time, my brain needs time to mentally prepare. My body is exhausted both emotionally and physically from the week we have had, I want to scream and swear and hit something. I also want to throw my hands up and Thank God because this is obviously the best or it wouldn't be his plan. It's a paradox and I am too tired to wonder over it.

This is not a post to whine to you about the woes of this past few weeks, although I have started down that path I realize. Instead it is to let you know, to update you so to speak. Kaleb needs prayer as we struggle to figure out what is wrong with him and how to cope with his new medical issues. Josh needs prayer as we try to prepare him for what he is about to under go, and as he faces so many unknowns and finally Tim and I need your prayers as we struggle with fatigue on so many levels.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Laurie......I guess it is pouring rain in your life.....but maybe they are also showers of blessings! Blessing that you will find ways to help Kaleb with his health issues and Joshua who is in God's hands with his heart issues. But that Mamma's heart is so fragile, so tender and I am praying that God will calm your heart, settle your fears, give you confidence in His mighty power. I cannot imagine how much you have been through, and yet you continue to give glory to God as you trust Him for His sovereignty and goodness. I love the verse from Deuteronomy 33:25, as thy days so shall thy strength be. (KJV) I like this version of this verse. I am praying for you and your family. Thanks for your blog that presses us on to trust and pray.

    Hope Strong

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mother had malaria was admitted and released as she was better, a day after that she was admitted again for fever, suddenly she was week and needed blood transfusion, after two days doctors could not do anything to make her feel better so she was rushed to Guwahati for better treatment, she's still in ICU and still needs blood transfusion regularly, even in her sickness she never forgot God..she kept praying as we all did..i pray to God that its nothing serious, no matter how much time it will take she will recover, pls give her the courage to face this trying time. Please pray for my mother for her speedy recovery and pray for all those who are looking after her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi..laurie..i will pray for you and your family..Have faith your soon will be alright soon.. please pray for my mother who is seriously sick in hospital..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will certainly pray for your Mother, and for you as you seek to comfort her and be her strength, for the doctors who care for her and for her peace and comfort as she battles this illness. May God grant you peace, may you feel his gentle touch today.

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback, don't be shy! Follow me!