March 18, 2010

Speech Therapy & Stuff

Twice, sometimes three times a week I drive the same route to St. Pauls on Bloor St. I go there for church on Sunday, I go to a Moms & Tots group on Wednesday and I have been parking there on Thursdays and then walk to Speech Therapy. I drive the same roads every single time. I repeat that particular piece of information because it's important, you need to know that I am very familiar with that drive, at all different time of the day, all different days of the week. It's the same route that I take in order to get to Sick Kids hospital and as you know I have gone and continue to go there on a fairly regular basis. My point, I know where the speed traps are!! I have seen all the hiding spots that the cops favour, I have even been caught in one shortly after moving here. So, the sneeky little buggers are changing it up on me! I got busted, and what did I say when I rolled down my window... "you changed your hiding spot!" Luckily the cop had a sense of humour and even dropped my ticket down to 10 over so that I didn't lose any points. Still, what right do they have to do that to a person, especially on a nice day when you are almost always going to be driving faster!

That being said... it was the last session for speech therapy tonight... someone made chocolate chip cookies... I ate one. :(... I suck!

I did learn a few things, interesting things about language and books. Did you know for example that there are different books for different stages of language? That books can be made a part of playtime and you can use props to make the books come alive, that books shouldn't only be used as a tool to calm your child down before sleep. Did you know that you should never read the book and get frustrated when they want to turn the page? That you should follow their lead, even if that means that you only read two of 10 pages? That if your child points to word you shouldn't just automatically fill in the word for them but try to get them to say it using different tricks. (ie. fill in the blanks, choices, or as a last ditch effort to simply ask them what it is.) All these things I should probably already know... but I didn't. It was interesting! I also learned that in general toys that make noises, a truck that beeps for examply, are horrible for building language. Your child should be doing the beeps, when the car does it all that really happens is that the truck becomes a cause and effect toy. (We have alot of cause and effect toys!) This is also true of books that make sounds and music. It was a really great lesson tonight, and I thank God that I had the chance to take this course. It will not only help me teach Josh how to talk but it sets things up so that I can teach Kaleb as well.

So, it's now 11:00 or shortly thereafter and I am exhausted! It's time to go to sleep because as we all now know... in just a few short hours Josh will be driving a truck over my head and poking his fingers in my ear! Good night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback, don't be shy! Follow me!